Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:34:07 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAC Address

Daniel Hauer <dh@enter.net> probably said:
> Sounds to me all this is just_slightly_unethical_if
> _not_bordering_on_illegal. This is a topic for a security mailing list?
> I thought we were here to boost network security, not circumvent it.
> Just a network technician's opinion.

Several OSes allow you to change the ethernet address, and there are
several legitimate reasons for needing to. It's a feature I use in
testing, to fix broken cards, use "virtual" mac addresses (especially
useful for cable modem companies that charge money to change the
registered mac address), etc.

It's a question for -questions, but it's already been answered here
(an option to ifconfig in 4.*). Can we drop it now ?

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu