Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 20:04:14 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        "lists@tar.com" <lists@tar.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Moving to a more current BIND

On Sun, Aug 03, 1997 at 04:58:42PM -0800, Studded wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 1997 15:54:54 -0700 (MST), Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >On the specific issue of the most recent "bind", I have a problem.
> >
> >Someone has stated that their new "bind" is complaining about my
> >use of an alias record as the name of my DNS server.
>
> 	This has always been an error, but BIND 8.1.1 is more vocal about
> it now.  TMK BIND 4.9.6 does not exhibit any differences in relation to
> this from the BIND 4.9.4 we had in the tree.  In any case, what you're
> doing will still work, and 8.1.1 allows you to send those error messages
> to /dev/null if you like.
>
> >This is a bogus thing for it to do, since it is imperitive that
> >you be able to use a DNS rotor for DNS services, if you have
> >equivalent servers for reasons of fault tolerance.
>
> 	Without going into too much detail that's better left for
> bind-users@vix.com, a dns rotary is certainly not "imperative," and BIND
> is actually pretty smart about sending its queries to the one of your name
> servers that is in the best network position to it.

A CNAME can *only* point to an "A" record.

Using CNAMEs in NS lines is in violation of the BIND rules and will break.

Don't do it.  If you do it, people using BIND 8.1.1 *CANNOT RESOLVE YOUR
DOMAIN*.  That includes, among others, us.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal