Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:08:46 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Craig Burgess <craig@CheetahUSA.net>
Cc:        questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'portupgrade' problem: "fnmatch module not found (runtime error)" -  (another try)

Craig Burgess wrote:

> currently running FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE (alpha/axp). Fresh (re)install
> of portupgrade, but running 'pkgdb -F' fails with
>   /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgtools.rb:9: fnmatch module
>   not found (RuntimeError)
>         from /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:35:in `require'
>         from /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb:35
>
> I have --
> ruby-1.6.6 [many of these files are living in
>       /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/alpha-freebsd4/]
> ruby-fnmatch-1.1b_1 (installed as a seperate port)
>       [/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/alpha-freebsd4/fnmatch.so]
>
> I tried making a symbolic link in
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/alpha-freebsd4/ to fnmatch.so but the same
> error occurs.
>
> If this sounds familiar, back around the middle of January RAY
> KOHLER made some suggestions as I tried to resolve the problem.
> Once upon a time portupgrade actually did work - several months
> ago - and before I tried unsuccessfully to install mod_ruby.
>
> Does anybody know where the fnmatch module is expected to be for
> portupgrade? and maybe what to change so it works?

What it really sounds like is that you are trying to take
shortcuts instead of upgrading your packages. The current setup has
requirements for

owt# search portupgrade
Port:   portupgrade-20020227
Info:   Very powerful FreeBSD ports/packages upgrading tool and more
Maint:  knu@FreeBSD.org
Index:  sysutils
B-deps: ruby-1.6.6.2002.01.29
R-deps: pkg_tarup-1.2_3 ruby-1.6.6.2002.01.29 ruby-bdb1-0.1.5
ruby-fnmatch-1.1b_1 ruby-optparse-0.8.6

This port tree was updated a short time ago and yours will be
different but some where in there you have a mismatch. A good starting
point would be the ruby port with fnmatch in it. It sounds like you
have some crufty versions that need to be portupgraded or do the
sequence of make, pkg_delete the old vesion and make install the new
version. Ruby pretty much stands alone so your don't have 20 ports to
rebuild if your delete and install the current version.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA