Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 20:14:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   I'm re-rolling the 2.1.5 release.

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

To: hackers@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 20:14:13 -0700
From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>

I totally hate this, but at this point I've got little choice.

For one thing, as everyone probably already knows, we broke the 3c509
driver badly with that 11th hour patch and people have been
complaining all over the place about it.  I could roll another boot
floppy, but that wouldn't cover the GENERIC kernel in the bindist nor
would the srcdist match.  It'd be a mess.

For another thing, it appears that I've totally broken CD
installation.  It doesn't work at all and I'm not even sure why.  It
worked at some point along the way, since I *did* test it with a
one-off CD, but in the final release it's broken again.  You can't
load anything off the CD.  Needless to say, that is unacceptable and
now I've got to dive back into sysinstall and figure out what the heck
happened.

Finally, the ports collection has grown so much that it no longer fits
on the first CD.  I'd moved it onto the second CD knowing that the
"link to your ports tree?" option of sysinstall would then break, but
I figured this wouldn't be too big a deal and I did document it.
Since I'm re-rolling things anyway, I can now at least fix this too.

Since the sum total of changes it's going to take to fix this now
exceeds the threshold of what I'd consider a reasonable "patch", I'm
simply going to start over.  Some tags will have to be slid forward
for RELENG_2_1_5_RELEASE and I'll be replacing the distribution on
wcarchive entirely once the CDs have been rolled again and I've
verified completely that they work.

Needless to say, I'm really sorry for the inconvenience and, in our
rush to get this out, I'm afraid to say that we skipped some
regression testing - this is evidently our just reward for cutting
corners!

I'll be setting the permissions on the 2.1.5-RELEASE directory on
wcarchive to 700 until the new release is in place - please simply
pretend to yourselves that you never even saw my first announcement. :-)

If it's any consolation, this aborted release did point up some
crucial problems and now 2.1.5-RELEASE mark II will at least be that
much the better for us having found them.

					Jordan

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--