Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:12:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Ed Watkeys <edw@poseur.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cdrecord problems to record 1 CD

> This is not the most helpful response. At your urging, I read the El
> Torito spec, and what you're saying above does not appear to be true
> of the Walnut Creek 3.2 install CD I have or the ISO image for the 3.3

All bootable Walnut Creek CDROM FreeBSD CDs use the El Torrito boot
hack to accomplish their purpose.  It's the -b flag to mkisofs.

> Reading through the mkisofs man page, it that that the ISO image
> should contain all of the information necessary to make this CD-R
> bootable. Has anyone actually booted off of a CD-R that they've burnt
> from the September 17, 1999, image? The disc works fine for installing

Yes.  However, it seems to have problems with ATAPI CDROM drives
(where it works fine with SCSI) and we're still scratching our heads
over that one.  What works for one should work for both, but no.  It
would be a lot easier to debug if it just plain didn't work for
*anyone*, you know? :)

- Jordan