Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:53:27 +0100
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
To:        Michael Riexinger <michael.riexinger@de.clara.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'vmpfw' state

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:49:29 +0100, Michael Riexinger
<michael.riexinger@de.clara.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have a imap server with cyrus running under FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE. There
> are around 25000 mailboxes (around 30gb small mails). When starting
> cyrus, the lmtpd is in vmpfw state for around 15 minutes and consumes
> very much cpu and memory. When using truss, i see a lseek loop. What
> exactly is the vmpfw state and how can i accelerate that thing?

I did this in /usr/src.
grep -r --mmap vmpfw *
sys/vm/vm_fault.c: if (!vm_page_sleep_if_busy(fs.m, TRUE, "vmpfw"))

Just above this line is a comment explaining what is happening here in a
technical way.
I think your imap server is mapping all files in memory which can take
quite long if your memory isn't 30GB.
Do you have more info about your system?
Memory/CPU/NFS?/local disk?
Are the mailboxes in mbox format or Maildir?

Searching in google on 'vmpfw' gives nfs issues with it while using pine
on a nfs mounted mail folder. (results from 1999 about older versions
freebsd)

Ronald.

--
  Ronald Klop, Amsterdam, The Netherlands