Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 2009 04:21:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NTP - default /etc/ntp.conf

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, David Malone wrote:

>>> The local clock should only be configured on a single server in a
>>> NTP domain that might be disconnected from the rest of the tree.
>>> Since the default config is a client config, it doesn't make sense
>>> to have the local clock configured. Even if it was a server config,
>>> it still wouldn't make sense, because it is only useful if a single
>>> server has it configured.
>
>> I do not see the point in removing it, it helps to keep the ntpd daemon
>> running if for some reason it loses the "real" ntp servers.
>
> It's definitely a misconfiguration to ship it by default. If you
> have many clients all with a local clock configured, then, when
> disconnected, they all just follow themselves rather than following
> the clock on a server. If you have it configured on several servers
> you end up with some clients following each of the servers, but
> they won't all stay together unless you're lucky. For this use of
> the local clock, you only want one local clock per island that might
> become disconnected.

This is handled by having different local clocks in different strata.
I only use 2 such strata -- 1 for server and another for all clients.
But this is not so easy to set up as a default.

ref8 FreeBSD cluster machines have the new ntp.conf, so they have the
local clock with the same stratum and this misconfiguration is getting
some official testing :-).  It is probably actually unofficial, due
mergemaster blowing away the old primitive ntp.conf which is still
used on other FreeBSD cluster machines.  This seems to break the
server config generally -- ntptrace on ref8* hangs after localhost
while ntptrace on ref7-amd64 hangs after hub.

Bruce