Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:07:08 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        FBSD1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports missing their packages.

--QDIl5R72YNOeCxaP

On 2008-Oct-29 16:09:23 +0800, FBSD1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>It's my understanding that a port maintainer has to install the port for
>real any time a change is made to the port make files or a update to the
>source of the software to test and verify the changes work as wanted.

I'm not sure what you mean by "install the port for real".  A port
maintainer is responsible for updating his/her ports and verifying
that they work.  This presumably includes building and installing
the port.

>Creating the package after this is just one command and a ftp upload
>to the package server.

This isn't true for a whole variety of reasons.

> Why are maintainers being given approval to apply their
>changes without creating the required package?

Because packages aren't "required" and creation of packages is nothing
to do with ports maintainers. =20

> This is just lax management
>on the part of the people who do the authorizing of the changes.

I suggest you do a bit more reading and a bit less pontificating.

> Missing
>packages increases user frustration level and makes FreeBSD look like its
>being mis-managed.

Not all ports have packages for a variety of reasons and there is no
requirement that every port has packages for every supported version
of FreeBSD.

Maybe you need to learn how to "cd /usr/ports/... && make install"

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--QDIl5R72YNOeCxaP

--QDIl5R72YNOeCxaP--