Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 14:11:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@Artisoft.COM>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        julian@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, terry@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terry's changes..

>    I REALLY wish people would work on integrating the 4.4-lite2 changes before
> going hog-wild. If these changes don't conflict with the lite-2 stuff, then by
> all means proceed...

The major FS conflicts with the Lite2 stuff are the existing initialization
changes in vfs_conf.c and the changes already in place in the FreeBSD
code but not in the Lite2 code for diskless support and for the new VM
system.

Not much else has changed, except in miscfs/* and ufs/lfs/*, both of
which are pretty much untouched by my VFS patches.

The unified diffs are pretty clean -- they are just some cosmetic
stuff to make the code more readable in terms of what a compare
againsts the symlinklength has to do with anything, plus some
cleanup to make the code less dependent on strucuture alignment and
element size.

The SYSINIT stuff is about as conflicting as the PSEUDO_SET stuff for
statically installed pseudo-devices.  It trades the ability to linearly
read down the init_main.c (which is unclear anyway because of the
startinit return after fork returning to the calling assembly instead
of calling an assembly routine at the ens of startinit) for the ability
to linearly look down the header file kernel.h for gross initialization
order.  It also allows dropping in of binary modules, and because of the
gapping, extension of the initialization tasks on an as-needed basis
without header file or kernel mods.  In fact, the use of the linker
set code allows the modules to be included or omitted with no additional
kernel changes.  I think this is a fair trade for support of binary
modules from third party vendors who want to do system initialization
time tasks.  It just means that the operation of the kernel startup
should be documented -- this was a requirement before, and now it's
just a slightly stronger requirement.  #ifdef's all over the kernel
should be removed anyway, they are warts from a lack of an adequate
use of callback registration mechanisms.

						-- Terry