Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:57:05 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Juha Ylitalo <juha.o.ylitalo@nokia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet another printing problem...

At 9:37 PM +0200 11/3/00, Juha Ylitalo wrote:
>not seem to get daemon to push queue into printer. Here is
>quick example:
>
>essrv103nok149116# lpc restart essatb4b2
>essatb4b2:
>	no daemon to abort
>essatb4b2:
>	daemon started
>
>essrv103nok149116# lpq -Pessatb4b2
>essrv103nok149116.ntc.nokia.com: Warning: no daemon present
>Rank   Owner      Job  Files                       Total Size
>1st    jylitalo   0    foo.ps                      71160 bytes
>
>no entries
>essrv103nok149116#

You might want to try 'lpc start essatb4b2' (instead of 'restart').
I'm juggling several different versions of lpr right now, and I
seem to remember having a problem with 'lpc restart' in at least
one of those versions.  I think that problem is NOT in the freebsd
version, but you might want to try 'lpc start' just in case.

Second, you might want to stop the /usr/sbin/lpd process and
start that up again with the '-l' (lowercase L) option.  That
way you should see more logging.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with what you have, but I
don't have time to really look at it right this minute.  I'll
send you another message later.
--

---