Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:17:06 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        wayne@crb-web.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network performance vs. linux on small transfers

>I am involved in a messaging system at work in which we need to send/receive
>large amounts of small (one line messages) SMTP messages.  We are currently using Sendmail 8.9.3
>on HPUX.
>
>Our application sends messages down a FIFO to a daemon process that is reading from
>the FIFO.  This process then connects to port 25 of the destination system and
>delivers the mail via SMTP.  Currently the destination system is the local
>system so everything is done on one machine.
>
>Using HPUX we typically pass 5 messages a second.  This system is a dual
>180Mhz K class server so this is surprisingly low performance for this system.
>
>When testing on FreeBSD 3.1 we also got 5 messages a second.  This system is a
>500Mhz P3, this is also unacceptable performance.
>
>When we tested with Linux (kernel 2.2.5) we passed 15 messages a second
>consistently using the exact same P3 described above.
>
>Since the HPUX and FreeBSD numbers are so close I am wondering there is some
>performance tuning that I do not know about.  Do you think the number might
>change if multiple hosts were used?
>
>The daemon that reads from the FIFO makes only one connection to the local
>Sendmail to deliver multiple messages in sequence.
>

>I REALLY want to use FreeBSD over Linux on this one and need some major help
>to get the performance out of FreeBSD.

   Are you setting the TCP_NODELAY socket option on the SMTP connection? If
not, then please do that and let me know if it fixes the problem or not.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.