Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 17:52:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        dga@lcs.mit.edu (David G. Andersen), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, greid@FreeBSD.ORG (George Reid)
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad T22, CS4624, pcm - channel dead, no sound

dochawk@psu.edu just mooed:

>  # stabbing at sound
> options         PNPBIOS
> device          pcm
> device          csa
>
> The last two are needed; I can't tell a difference when I use PNPBIOS
> or not.

  Likewise.  The card is probed and attached properly with or without
PNPBIOS, and including it makes no difference.  The device behavior on
my laptop is actually identical with or without using the csa device.

> IBM also lists it as soundblaster pro comaptible.  Is this a direction
> worth exploring?  On my older thinkpad (755c), it would emulate
> soundblaster (it had funny hardware, too).

  There was an earlier post about someone doing that under Linux;  I
haven't tried it.  Just inserting a brain-dead sb0 device with device
sound doesn't do the trick.

> Another stray thought:  there's a couple of models which ibm with
> redhat linux.  Does sound work on those?

  Yes.  My officemate has a T21 with RHL7 on which sound works
perfectly.  The ALSA (advanced linux sound architecture) project's
drivers support the 4624/4297a.  They encountered one problem where
the thinkpad's PCI bus power management caused problems with
sound playback.  Disabling the PCI power management has no effect
on the problems with FreeBSD's pcm driver.  [The OSS drivers
also report this problem, but the solution doesn't work there
either.  I'm doing most of these tests with the laptop plugged
in, so there should be no strange apm interactions].

  There's a bit of information to be found in the ALSA (alsa-project.org)
mailing list archives, but not a ton for the more basic "It doesn't
work" problem.

  -Dave