Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 14:25:01 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        dennis <dennis@magix.com.sg>
Cc:        Rob <europax@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Athlon DDR memory, IDE Raid motherboards?

dennis wrote:

> I got a ASUSA7V133 to work with Athlon 1.1G with 768MB RAM and two Maxtor
> 30G ATA 30 HDD set up as RAID 0 to work. But I so not know how to optimize
> this set up ? The performance I am getting when I tar -zxvf ports.tar.gz is
> the same as that of my mainboard with 1 Maxtor 30G ATA100 HDD.

Do you have softupdates turned on. That seems to make a lot of
difference. I didn't get any real performance gains until I had
3-Maxtor 30GB drives on seperate controllers. Two of them were on a
VP6's HPT-370 raid-0 array. I have a Thunderbird 900 and it was faster
than 2-866's until I moved /usr/src onto the raid array. The AMD has
3-drives on 3-controllers and isn't using raid.

Kent

> Note that ASUS A7V133 does not have RAID 1.
>
> Dennis

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com