Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 16:32:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Printing on a Canon BJ10

I have a Canon BJ10 set up to print from FreeBSD, both through lpd, locally
and through Samba.

When printing from FreeBSD, in simple text mode, I always lose the last 2
lines of every page.  My printcap entry is:

lp|local line printer:\
:lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw=80:pl=63 \
:vf=vf:sh:if=/usr/local/libexec/bjif:

The number of lines which print on a single page is 63, if I reduce this
number, fewer lines are printed per page, but I still lose 2.

The bjif filter does nothing with text files, it just passes them through.
The same problem occurs if it is not present.

The printcap entry for the Samba printer is identical.  Print jobs from the
PC print correctly, with no lost lines.

PostScript print jobs (which run through Ghostscript and the bj10e driver)
cause a printer error at the end of the first page.

If anyone out there has a bj10 working correctly, I would be grateful for
printacap and PS filters.

TIA

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key