Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:16:03 +0930
From:      David Lloyd <lloy0076@rebel.net.au>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Opposing" the "competition" (was: FreeBSD spokesman (was: Sowhat  happens to FreeBSD now?))

Hmmmm....

> No.  I first came to FreeBSD when I wanted to learn some programming
> stuff.  Ever try to read GNU code?  It is painful.

Hang on a moment. The fact the code is bad has nothing to do with the
GPL or GNU. Give me some money and I'll spend an hour writing bad code
under a Microsoft EULA, the BSD Licence, the Artistic Licence...I'm sure
you get my drift.

> I learned to write
> socket code from FreeBSD's finger implementation.  And of course, supreme
> simplicity of the ports system is beautiful.  There is no match anywhere
> else.

wget -c blah
./configure blah
make
make install

Whilst, admittedly, one needs to use one's brain under Linux to make
sure you get the right "blah", the rest doesn't seem that much more
difficult than the Ports collection. And what's wrong with apt-get under
Debian...

> And FreeBSD's stability is jaw dropper.  In five years, I have seen
> FreeBSD systems crash less than a dozen times.  FreeBSD is really
> beautiful OS.  There is no better way to describe it.

Yes, I agree. It does seem to be a very good OS.

> With that in mind, there is no sense in not blowing away the
> competition.  And the GPL is a big, big target on the back of Linux.  It
> is an easy way to strike fear in the hearts of others.  Do not look a
> gift horse in the mouth :)

This GPL vs BSD thing, to my mind is rather silly. There's going to be
something wrong with every licence you invent. Let's live with that fact
and make the best out of a bad world.

DSLK
--
"And the winner is