Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 02:00:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How do YOU do your "Clean install" upgrades

Hi all,

I'm interested in adopting/devising one of the "clean install" upgrade
methods. By this I mean when a new version of FreeBSD comes out, you
1. copy all your data and configuration files from the machine you want
to upgrade to another machine on the network
2. do clean install deleting everything on the machine being upgraded
3. move the data and configuration files back over to the original
machine with the newly upgraded OS

I know some of you do this and I really want to adopt one of these
methods. I have some who do it using CVS, other who do with a
combination of scp, find and md5.

My question is how do YOU do it and what is the best (most easily
automated/safe) method?