Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:18:37 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        "tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix@interazioni.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.6

Dear tonix,

Friday, June 21, 2002, 2:43:39 PM, you wrote:

tAN> I've a FreeBSD box running fine with 4.0 and lots of applications, DB
tAN> server, WEB servers, (NO X-server), etc.., all working extremely nicely.

tAN> Probably, I'll have to expand to another box with RAID disks, and much
tAN> probably, I should switch to FreeBSD 4.6.

tAN> I cant rebuild all, too many applications...

tAN> May anyone suggest if this plan may works, or suggest me different paths?

tAN> A) Backup old system (megatar.tar.Z)

tAN> B) Create new system, with minimal FreeBSD 4.0 installation, creation of
tAN> all disks, etc...

tAN> C) Restore of megatar.tar.z in new system

You will at lease use a image tool not an archive tool. Check out dd
or ghost (windows). And it would only work if you got the same kind of
hardware on the system. (I have had no experience with dd.) Since its
new hardware you have nothing to lose.

If it works you have the same system on the new hardware. Do a make
world just in case there are minor problems.

tAN> D) Binary upgrade of new system to 4.6

tAN> E) Recompile and install of new kernel with new features enabled
tAN> (multi-processor, etc).

tAN> F) Recompile and install of additional packages (where possible).

tAN> I would like to avoid to install upgrades of packages. I already upgraded
tAN> where there were security problems, and I would like to avoid to make an
tAN> uncontrolled salad just now.

tAN> Thanks for any advice.

tAN> Tonino

tAN> P.S. Please reply cc to me also, I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.

--
Best regards,
Alex

The FreeBSD handbook
www.freebsd.org/handbook

How to get best results from the FreeBSD- questions mailing list
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/index.html

Alternative:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html