Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 02:32:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: revisiting Motif policy in ports

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> How about a new DEPENDS_MOTIF (supplied by a port) which might
> build Lesstif if HAVE_MOTIF is not set?
>
> I agree that Lesstif has become useful.  (former skeptic)

	Maybe something a little more flexible.  How about replacing
REQUIRES_MOTIF with MOTIF_REQUIREMENTS and use the values MOTIF and
LESSTIF.  Then in the make.conf the users could define HAVE_MOTIF and/or
HAVE_LESSTIF as necessary.

	What I'm getting at here is if Lesstif is a weaker version of Motif
that may not work for every package, we should treat the requirements as
ranging from strong (true Motif) to weak (works with Lesstif).  Of course
no one's going to test everything with Lesstif immediately.  But as
packages are known to work well enough, the requirements can be relaxed.

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]