Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:51:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: root EDITOR as 'ee' in 2.2??

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Peter Korsten wrote:
> Brandon Gillespie shared with us:
> >
> > Who's bright idea was it to change the default editor for root in 2.2 to
> > 'ee'?  vi is standard on every unix system i've come across, if I want to
> > use a different editor I set the EDITOR environment variable myself.  Why
> > was this change made to /root/.cshrc?
>
> Not everyone is familiar with vi, you know. ':wq' or 'ZZ' to save
> a file, switching between edit mode and visual mode which is not
> visible... If you want FreeBSD to be installable by other people
> that Your Average Wizard, don't choose vi.
>
> So therefore, 'ee' was chosen, because that editor keeps a handy
> menu with often used keystrokes. It isn't very big either, which
> was another consideration.
>
> And what the heck, it's easily reconfigured anyway.

Yeah, so leave it with the _STANDARD_ 'vi' and change the sysinstall post
configuration to 'setup root environment' rather than just set root's
password, and allow the editor to be selected there.

This change makes 1% of the people happy and just irritated 80%+ of the
other admins.

-Brandon Gillespie