Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:38:07 -0400
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to add new audit class?

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 09:03:26PM +0400, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Freebsd-security.
>=20
>  I want to create mixed audit class for ``security-sensible'' events.
>  For example, I need to audit:
>=20
>  exec*() syscalls from standard `pc' class, but not wait4() or
>      fork(), because fork() is not interesting  (new process image is
>      security-sensible, not new process itself) and  occurred too often
>      and create noise.
>=20
>  connect()/accept() from "nt", but not setsockopt(), for the same
>      reasons.
>=20
>  And so on.
>=20
>    How should I create new system class? What need to be putted into
>  "classmask" in audit_class(5)? How should I edit audit_event(5) file,
>  as it seems, that one event could belong only to one class, and I
>  don't want to remove these events from their natural classes.
>=20

Giving some background here I had a similiar type thing I was going
through with fcntl etc... for some remote diskless X machines that were
logging 1000+ fcntl changes every 5 seconds! "I didn't going with
auditing those machines ;) What it came down to though was making good
use of auditreduce(1) to get the output you would like to investigate.
Good thing the resulting storage files are compressed eh? ;)

To sum it up simply it comes down to "...class mask size is fixed in the
ABI and difficult to expand"

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2010-December/042542.html

Hope this helps some.

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI