Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 1995 02:19:47 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.jdl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   named and ISP interaction

Hi!

I've seen so many good answers to questions here, I felt
obliged to pass along my own, er, question or two...
(It's a long, clueless one, so go get that cup of coffee now! :-)

I must confess to being a network-admin-neophyte, so if I
ask a FAQ, just point me at it, or if I sound Really Dumb,
just sneeze or blink or something while it scrolls off.

Here's the summary of the story so far.  I've been hanging off my
Internet Service Provider, OnRamp.net for a while now.  I've been
happily resolving through them as chrome.onramp.net and probably will
continue to do so for at least a while yet.

Here's the local topology in some detail: I've got a 3-bit submask
ending .200 - .207.  My router is .201, my FreeBSD machine, chrome,
is .202 and I've got a (<<shudder>>) Windows '95 hanging at .203.
(If it matters, the router is an Ascend Pipeline-50 doing ISDN to
ethernet onto a 10bT hub.)

I want, I suppose, a name equivalence with:
	chrome == chrome.jdl.com == jdl.com

The interesting parts of /etc/hosts are currently:

127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.jdl.com
199.1.166.201		router router.jdl.com
199.1.166.202		chrome chrome.jdl.com jdl.com chrome.onramp.net
199.1.166.203		brass brass.jdl.com brass.onramp.net

And, I used to have resolve.conf as:

    domain	onramp.net
    nameserver	199.1.11.2

Now, just to totally stray from the tried, true, and working, I just
got my offical domain name, jdl.com, registered with the NIC.  Yea!

So far, OnRamp is routing "jdl.com" packets to me through my router.
However, something beyond that just wasn't right...  From a totally
third-party machine, I couldn't find "chrome.jdl.com".  Furthermore mail
sent to "jdl@jdl.com" bounced very nicely and included this tidbit:

550 jdl@jdl.com... Host unknown (Name server: chrome.jdl.com.: host not found)

Right.  The nameserver on jdl.com didn't realize that chrome.jdl.com
was supposed to be the same as jdl.com.  Oh, I'm not running named!

OK, so removed /etc/resolve.conf, added namedflags in sysconfig and
crocked up these files in /etc/namedb:

---------------- /etc/namedb/named.boot ----------------
;	$Id: named.boot,v 1.3 1995/03/23 08:43:02 rgrimes Exp $
;	From: @(#)named.boot	5.1 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

; boot file for secondary name server
; Note that there should be one primary entry for each SOA record.

; example sortlist config:
; sortlist 128.3.0.0

directory	/etc/namedb

; type    domain		source host/file		backup file

cache     .							named.root
primary   0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA	localhost.rev

primary	jdl.com			jdl.hosts
primary 166.1.199.IN-ADDR.ARPA	jdl.rev

---------------- /etc/namedb/jdl.hosts ----------------
;
; jdl.hosts
;

@	IN	SOA	chrome.jdl.com. root.chrome.jdl.com.  (
				95080802; Serial
				3600	; Refresh
				300	; Retry
				3600000	; Expire
				3600 )	; Minimum

		IN	NS	chrome.jdl.com.

localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1

jdl.com.	IN	A	199.1.166.202
chrome		IN	A	199.1.166.202
router		IN	A	199.1.166.201

---------------- /etc/namedb/jdl.rev ----------------
;	From: @(#)localhost.rev	5.1 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
;	$Id: PROTO.localhost.rev,v 1.1 1995/03/21 16:33:44 wollman Exp $
;
; This file is automatically edited by the `make-localhost' script in
; the /etc/namedb directory.
;

@	IN	SOA	chrome.jdl.com. root.chrome.jdl.com.  (
				95080801; Serial
				3600	; Refresh
				300	; Retry
				3600000	; Expire
				3600 )	; Minimum
	IN	NS	chrome.jdl.com.
201	IN	PTR	router.jdl.com.
202	IN	PTR	chrome.jdl.com.

---------------- /etc/namedb/localhost.rev ----------------
;	From: @(#)localhost.rev	5.1 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
;	$Id: PROTO.localhost.rev,v 1.1 1995/03/21 16:33:44 wollman Exp $
;
; This file is automatically edited by the `make-localhost' script in
; the /etc/namedb directory.
;

@	IN	SOA	chrome.jdl.com. root.chrome.jdl.com.  (
				950808	; Serial
				3600	; Refresh
				300	; Retry
				3600000	; Expire
				3600 )	; Minimum
	IN	NS	chrome.jdl.com.
1	IN	PTR	localhost.jdl.com.
---------------- /etc/host.conf --------------------------------
# $Id: host.conf,v 1.2 1993/11/07 01:02:57 wollman Exp $
# Default is to use the nameserver first
bind
# If that doesn't work, then try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

OK, if you haven't spotted the obvious flaws yet, let me provide
some questions, you know, to stir the thought processes some.... :-)

Am I even *vaguely* close to right on any of this?  How come chrome.jdl.com
or router.jdl.com isn't visible to the external world?

I'm confused on where I point my configuration off to my ISP's
nameserver for those names I can't resolve myself.  Do I even need
my ISP's nameserver anymore?  Nah, that's what named.root's for, right?
So should I modify or create a localized named.root that includes my
ISP's nameserver on a locality argument?

Should I really have an MX record in jdl.hosts somewhere?

As you can see, despite searching for a FAQ in /usr/share/FAQ
reading {named,resolver} man pages and ORA's Crab book section
on configuring DNS, I am still without a clue.

OK, and, of course, the obvious question I probably should've asked
in the first place:  Is this even my problem or is it my ISP's problem?

Any help or insight here would be most appreciated!

jdl