Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:39:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        jgrosch@MooseRiver.com
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Mark Heath <mheath@netspace.net.au>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif not available?

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Josef Grosch wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 11:41:19PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> > > According to the web page:
> > >
> > > "These releases are compiled against a Motif library that is permissible
> > > to distribute with JDK."
> > >
> > > The link does not exist.
> >
> > There's a link there?  Dang, I just re-worded that sentence to remove
> > that link, since XIG no longer supplies a FreeBSD Motif.
>
> I spoke to several people at XIG about Motif for FreeBSD 3.x. They assured
> me they are working on a version and will be shipping at the beginning of
> this summer. It would be a good idea if people called them and asked when
> they will be shipping Motif for FreeBSD. Metro Link (www.metrolink.com) and
> Apps2go (www.apps2go.com) are now shipping Motif 2.1.10 for FreeBSD 3.x

That's what they told me, when I asked them 5 months before
FreeBSD-current went elf.  I explained in very plain language what was
happening, and why they should bring out a new version.  They said they
were, so I began to ask them once a month "where is it, here's my money,
please take it".  About 6 months later, they finally admitted they'd
done nothing on it, and they weren't going to.  They'd lied to me the
whole time.

Maybe they've changed their mind again.  They now have 2 competitors,
and a bunch of old customers who were screwed.  I don't think it's a
great idea to wait too long on XIG *finally* coming to market with an
ELF Motif.

I bought Apps2go Motif.  It works.

> Josef
>
> --
> Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.1
> jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).