Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 19:34:42 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1047519282.f627b9@mired.org>
To:        "Scott I. Remick" <siremick@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mucked up partitions, can't boot

In <20030307220907.12046.qmail@web41104.mail.yahoo.com>, Scott I. Remick <siremick@yahoo.com> typed:
> Doing another experimental 5.0-REL install where I mucked things up due to
> partitioning by-hand. This is now becoming a learning experience on fixit et
> al, so although this is just "for fun" I'd like to carry it through "the
> hard way" vs just reinstalling.
>
> Anyhow, this system has 4 SCSI disks da0 through da3. I put / on da0, swap
> on da1, split da2 50/50 with /var and /tmp, then /usr is on da3. For each
> disk I chose A during slice setup to "use entire disk" but then partitioned
> manually once that screen came up.

You really should split swap up in that kind of situation. I.e. - put
var and half of swap on da1, and tmp and the rest of swap on da2. The
kernel will interleave swap usage across both spindles for better
performance if you do that.

> Anyone willing to help me learn and guide me from here? Thanks

Well, you didn't describe a problem, and you didn't ask a
question. It's hard to provide guidance without some indication of
where you are and are trying to go.

	<mike