Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:23:35 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Louis-Philippe Groulx <dark_matrix41@yahoo.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question

On Thursday 28 March 2002 05:30 pm, Louis-Philippe Groulx wrote:
| Hi
|
| I am running Windows 98 under an intel pentiumI of 133
| mega-hertz
|
| If I install FreeBSD and I delete Windows does my
| applications will run more faster?

Your existing applications won't run at all.

Depending on the tasks you do you may find other applications that perform
the tasks better, and 99% of the appplications for FreeBSD are free, which is
one of my personal favorite price points, but it would be better to assume
that nothing you have now will work after you switch.

(This isn't 100% true, of course, but you'll be much better going in with
that expectation and then you can be pleasently surprised if you get anything
to work.)

It is very, very unlikley that you want to delete Windows when you install
FreeBSD.  You would almost certainly want to install them side by side (duel
boot), unless you are willing to simply discard everything you've done before.

And of course back everything up before you install, no matter what.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org
http://www.eff.org   <-- GOOD GUYS -->  http://www.programming-freedom.org