Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:21:59 -0400
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster serial/terminal servers with FreeBSD ...

At 1:18 PM -0300 2004/07/27, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>Anyone have any warnings about these?  I'm thinking of picking one
>up so that I can monitor the remote servers, especially through a
>reboot, better ... looking at the PM-25 model (25 port through
>fan-out cables) ... my understanding, on the FreeBSD side, is that I
>just need to add -P to /boot.config, and it will probe the serial
>port for a serial console ... anything else on a 4.x machine that
>needs to be done?  Used to be something in the kernel, if I recall
>correctly, but think that was removed ... ?

	We're very happy with the Cyclades ACS series (we get them
with dual power & 48 ports); the older TS series should be cheaper.
They run Linux & sshd, and can log all traffic on the port
automatically (ours always keep the last 10240 characters).

						FWIW,

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;