Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:52:59 +0000
From:      Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: easily reproducible NFS-related panic

On 15 February 1999, "Jose M. Alcaide" proclaimed:
> Sorry for the cross-posting, but I am running -STABLE and I would
> like to hear from -CURRENT users about this problem.
>
> The panic is easily reproducible: simply, try to hard-link a file
> from a local filesystem to a NFS-mounted one (yes, I _know_ that
> this is non-sense):
>
>   mount remotesys:/exportedfs /mnt
>   cd /mnt
>   ln /bin/ls .   --> this complaints about cross-device link, OK
>   ln /bin/ls .   --> (yes, again)
>   panic: vrele: negative ref cnt     --> CRASH!!!
>
> I have confirmed this with recent 3.0-STABLE and 3.1-BETA clients
> and servers, and also with a Solaris 2.5.1 NFS server. However,
> it does not happen on a 2.2.8-RELEASE client.
>
> Some feedback from the NFS gurus ;-) would be very useful.

A fix for this has just recently been committed to 4.0.  Look through
-current in the last week for mail from myself, matt dillon and a couple
of others about "negative ref cnt".  It's a simple one line patch to
fix.  I'm not sure if Matt has committed the fix to -stable yet.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

	Free your mind -- http://www.opensource.org/
the system manager.