Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:06:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Scheduler fixes

I put scheduler patches up on Freefall for review.  They're
in PATCHES.scheduler.  Ignore everything in the posix1b directories
and just look at the sys/kern and sys/{i386,alpha} changes.  This
doesn't directly address the recent alpha complaints yet, it is
just a revisit to the scheduler to get back up to speed.

I've also added "synch.9" to talk about what is in there.

In particular look at hoisting userret into machine indepedent.  I
looked at 4.4Lite and I believe multiple arches can still be supported
cleanly while moving a lot of this stuff into mi code, maybe at the
cost of some per-arch "methods" passed in.  Note that I've changed
the kernel priority level on the Alpha of userret to splhigh - everything
else is being done in the scheduler code at splhigh and that was pretty
much the only difference between alpha and i386 (other than i386 previously
being inline).

Note - I nuked my new "sys/sys/synch.h" header when creating patches,
so I quickly recreated it this morning and verified the kernel still
builds.  If you notice anything funky about the headers that is why.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval