Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:53:27 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port trees which are not chmod root:wheel

On 1 Oct 2001 at 20:33, Stijn Hoop wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:19:55PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> > I have need to use a a ports tree which is not chmod root:wheel.  This
> > tree
>
> s/chmod/chown/

Doh, thanks. That's what I meant.... and what I used.  I've already
chown'd the tree.  Now I'm just waiting for a commit to come through.

> > will be used exclusively by FreshPorts.  Is anyone already using a non
> > root:wheel ports tree?  I'm guessing that I just need to run cvsup as
> > the uid which owns the tree and all will be well. Suggestions/comments
> > welcomed here.
>
> No problems in actual use - although a very few ports will not *build* as
> a non-root user (converters/libiconv comes to mind), the majority works
> flawlessly here:
>
> [stijn@firsa] <~> ls -ld /usr/ports
> drwxr-xr-x  55 src  src  1536 Sep 25 05:30 /usr/ports

I don't be building ports in this tree.  Just running a large number
of "make -V" commands.  If I did want to build from the tree, I'd
run as root.

> Note that this is not writable for me, so I set WRKDIRPREFIX in
> /etc/make.conf to something like /local/build - if you can't write to
> $WRKDIR, the system will barf.

Ahhh!  Now that's a good tip.  thank you.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples