Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2013 13:51:12 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Daamn M <daamn.m@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org,  freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ports for different versions of Python

On 06/10/2013 21:13, Marcus von Appen wrote:
> On, Sat Oct 05, 2013, Daamn M wrote:

>> For example: I have installed python 2.7 and then port py-someport. Then I
>> installed python 3.3 and set PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION to point python 3.3. If
>> I try to install port py-someport again I wll get an error message saying
>> that an older version is already installed.
>
> This is a limitation in package handling at the moment. The FreeBSD
> ports tree unfortunately uses the origin (e.g. devel/py-someport) to
> check, if a port was already installed, instead of e.g. the package name
> (e.g. py33-someport, py27-someport, etc.).

Personally I went and created my own variations, easy if you want one
or two, probably a hassle if you want a lot that constantly get updated.

eg to get py-numpy for python3.3 I duplicated py-numpy to py-numpy33
and changed PORTNAME to numpy33 and USE_PYTHON to 3.3 I made a few
other adjustments like renaming f2py to f2py33 and a quick replace in
the pkg-plist for __PYCACHE__ and 3.3 added to names.

So I end up with py27-numpy and py33-numpy33 installed