Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:34:51 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        "Seth Hieronymus" <sethh@principia.edu>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vi question

On Thursday 07 March 2002 01:11 pm, Seth Hieronymus wrote:
> Is there any way to stop vi from going back into command mode when
> I arrow over to the first column (while in insert mode)?

   I don't think so.  You could use Vim, instead; this seems to work
as you'd like it to.
   More to the point is that you're using arrow keys in vi, which is
optimized for fast typing (little wasted motion and little need for
Ctrl- or Alt-key combinations).  Personally, I find it faster to just
switch between command and insert modes and use the h,j,k, and l keys
instead of the arrow keys...  Ymmv, of course, but you might want to
give it a chance, if you haven't already.

--
"Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today." -- Benjamin
Franklin (1706-1790)