Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:08:47 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: Meta: explain what where when? (was Re: userland access todevicesis  moving!)

"Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:
> Reading the discussion of this change, I'd say "This is a structural
> cleanup that eliminates some complexity and makes it easier to understand
> and add onto, with the 'cleanup' features related to the reduced
> complexity.  It may also yield a small real-world performance improvement
> for things that do a lot of /dev/* fiddling."  Just a thumbnail sketch of
> whether this is moving us down the path, or hacking out thorns that are
> keeping us from moving down the path, etc.

That's more like a marketing blurb.  It does not evenly
present both the perceived benefits, and the potential
negative consequences.  I can see several.  I think much
of the claim to gain here can be won back by not gathering
per-layer statistics at the GOEM level, and collapsing the
GEOM layers to direct block references, when possible (for
example).

I also think it's sort of a half-approach to getting rid of
struct fileops, which is the real source of the problem here,
not the fact that the thing holding the struct fileops pointer
happens to be a vnode.

How's this going to effect diskless boots?  What about the
mmap() of /dev/zero for anonymous pages?  What about doing
descriptor passing it off to another program?  What does the
author honestly think it will break, such that it needs a
"Heads Up!" warning?  Does everyone value the things that will
break as little as the author, or is it just something he
doesn't use, so it's not important to him?

I really hate when someone posts something that is effectively
nothing more than propaganda in favor of something that they
haven't documented in sufficient detail and/or provided their
own list of the negative consequences, such that people can
form an informed opinion on the merits of the idea, instead of
deciding based on personalities, or how effective someone is at
writing propaganda in favor of what they intend to do anyway.

-- Terry