Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:12:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Carlton Roy DAVIS <carlton@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Unable to input French characters

I have unable to configure my FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE machine so that
I can enter French characters; for example to be able to use pine
to write a French email (with the necessary French accents). I install
the french port and followed the instruction at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-localization.html;
however, I am still not able to.

I am using KDE 3.3. When I switch to French keyboard setup in KDE and try
to enter a French character, the system just beeps and nothing is
displayed. On my Linux box, things work find: I get all the French
characters but I just can't seems to make it happen on my FreeBSD box.

Any idea as to what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thanks much in advance.

-Carlton