Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:18:38 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Bryan-TheBS-Smith" <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Adding 3ware RAID AFTER FBSD has been installed

Hi Bryan,

They have a "drive repair" function in their bios & 3dm task. I *think* that
is how you would do it.

> > The ARCO Raid controller is the only I know that work
> > totally transparently because it sits in between the
> > controller and the drive.  It even comes with a floppy
> > you can boot with to mirror one drive from another. It
> > is the slowest of all of these controllers, so it is my
> > last resort.
>
> The 3Ware is another hardware solution.  They seem to have perfected
> the RAID-0, 1, 0+1 (aka 10) performance, although RAID-5 write
> performance is horrendous without a good amount of on-board cache
> memory (plus they don't seem to have their RAID-5 firmware perfected
> yet either).

Did you mean to say "3ware" is another solution or where you thinking about
another controller? It seems that I can NOT add 3ware to an existing system.

I don't think I can even run vinum at this point.

Kory