Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:54:32 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Asus AS99127F temperature sensor (A7M266)

Hi,

	Unfortunaly, I am no kernel hacker :(. Otherwise, I would
be digging this code all over the place. Nevertheless, I think
I should let you guys know about this. If this is well known
information, I apologize.

	Up until a few minutes ago, I thought I could not get
temperature information from my A7M266 under FreeBSD. healthd
cannot get this information.

	Asus A7M266 motherboard uses Asus AS99127F temperature
sensor.  This sensor is not supported by the FreeBSD smbus. Therefore,
healthd cannot deal with it.

	However, there is a nice utility in the FreeBSD ports system
which CAN read both temperature and fan speed information from this
sensor.

	Check /usr/ports/sysutils/xmbmon.

$ mbmon -h
MotherBoard Monitor, ver.1.07pl1 by YRS
Usage: mbmon [options...] <seconds for sleep> (default 5 sec)
  -V|S|I: access method (using "VIA686 HWM directly"|"SMBus"|"ISA I/O port")
  -f: temperature in Fahrenheit
  -d: debug mode (any other option will be ignored)
  -h: print help message(this) and exit
  -c count: repeat <count> times and exit
  -T|F [1-7]: print Temperature|Fanspeed according to following styles
        style1: data1\n
        style2: data2\n
        style3: data3\n
        style4: data1\ndata2\n
        style5: data1\ndata3\n
        style6: data2\ndata3\n
        style7: data1\ndata2\ndata3\n
  -u: print system uptime
  -t: print present time
  -n|N: print hostname(long|short style)
  -i: print integers in the summary(with -T option)
$ mbmon -S
Temp.= 30.0, 57.0,  0.0; Rot.= 4115,    0,    0
 Vcore = 1.76, 2.48; Volt. = 3.30, 4.81, 12.28, -12.76, -5.35

	Well, we might get a solution for healthd if any of the
kernel hackers can dig the code. In the meantime, I am pretty
satisfied with xmbmon. For more information, check

http://www.nt.phys.kyushu-u.ac.jp/shimizu/download/download.html

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer