Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 00:00:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Neal Westfall <nwestfal@orion.csci.csusb.edu>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 1.1 and Current

On Tue, 2 May 1995, Brian Tao wrote:

> > netscape: uname() failed; can't tell what system we're running on
>
>     That's funny, I get the error with my 950412 snapshot machine, but
> it doesn't seem to cause any problems, and I figured it is because my
> machine doesn't have an entry in our nameserver yet.
>
> % uname -v
> FreeBSD 2.0.950412-SNAP #0: Sat Apr 15 00:41:41 CST 1995
> taob@falcon.ibms.sinica.edu.tw:/usr/sys/compile/ARIES

That is weird.  The problem with current turned out to be the fact
that uname exhibited the following behavior:

% uname -r
BUILT-19950501

By applying the patch mentioned in a previous message and rebuilding the
kernel, the problem with it locking up went away.  I just tried Netscape
again and it still shows the error message.  But it is not locking up
anymore.  Maybe it has something to do with it being a BSDI binary?
Oh well, as long as it works!

% uname -r
2.0-BUILT-19950501

Netscape seems to like that.

Neal Westfall                            nwestfal@csci.csusb.edu

FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-19950501 #1: Mon May  1 12:49:11 PDT 1995
    root@darkside.csci.csusb.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/DARKSIDE