Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:29:01 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest030@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: high availability disk mirror

On Sunday 06 October 2002 04:36 pm, Michael Grant appears to have=20
written:
> Anyone have any good pointers to ideas how to set up multiple freebsd
> boxes such that I end up with something that's fault tolerant and
> highly available?
>
> Anyone know of a way to mirror a disk across a network?

There are several more conventional methods, but you might also want=20
to take a look at the Coda filesystem:

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

I've played with it a little and it's pretty neat, although I've never=20
done anything serious with it.  It's in the ports collection.=20

> My current thinking is to create a second box as a hot spare.

I don't think Coda can mirror an entire system, but if you want=20
real-time mirroring of the data directories, it might be just what=20
you need.

> Michael Grant

- Bob