Date:      11 Apr 1998 14:51:45 -0500
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@xtdl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pnp(4) where it is?

"Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@xtdl.com> writes:

> 		   "FreeBSD It's That and Much Much More"
>           	   Find out Why @ http://www.freebsd.org
> 04/11/98
>
> I'm running 2.2.6-stable. I have my cd-rom sound running through the pcm0
> device
>  I'm trying to get audio files like .ra au etc to play
> 	through my speakers also as well as beable to
> 	use my microphone. However I can't seem to do so.
> 	I don't think I have the card working properly.

What's dmesg say (this will show the results of the kernel hardware
probe).   Also, what's you appropriate entry in your kernel config
look like?

> ***** Also I cannot do /dev/sh MAKEDEV pnp0 or pcm0
> 	comes back stating no such device name

I'm not sure of the details, but these devices don't show up in /dev,
they just exist in some magic kernel space.

> # Luigi's snd code (use INSTEAD of snd0 and all VOXWARE drivers!). # You may
> also wish to enable the pnp controller with this, for pnp # sound cards. #
> device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
>  ***** I DID CHANGE IRQ 10 to 5 as above****** dmesg does show device pcm0
> with irq 5

Ok... this is a little hard to read.  Run pnpinfo and look at the
*bottom* of the output--this tells you what your card is actually
configured like.

> I've tried to configure snd0 with sb0 and now am trying pcm0 . The
> LINT File says see pnp(4) for more info.  Can someone kindly direct
> me to where I can find this information. I've searched the on-line
> handbook, ftp.freebsd.org freeBSD-stable man pages, Just can't seem
> to find any info re pnp(4) : # Enable PnP support in the kernel.
> This allows you to automaticly attach to PnP cards for drivers that
> support it and allows you to # configure cards from USERCONFIG.  See
> pnp(4) for more info. controller pnp0

Well, the one detail that is not terribly well documented is that you
need to make snd1 devices (MAKEDEV snd1) and you need to fix the links
to point to the "1" devices, not the "0" devices.
	ls -l /dev | grep "\->"
gives me:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root      wheel            6 Apr  7 23:07 audio -> audio1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root      wheel            4 Apr  7 23:07 dsp -> dsp1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root      wheel            5 Apr  7 23:07 dspW -> dspW1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root      wheel            6 Apr  7 23:07 mixer -> mixer1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root      wheel            6 Apr  7 23:08 music -> music1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root      wheel            4 Apr  7 23:08 pss -> pss1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root      wheel           10 Apr  7 23:08 sequencer -> sequencer1

(shoot me if there is a way to do this automatically--i just made the
links by hand)

--

Steve Farrell