Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:51:43 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@home.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIOS calls on SMP systems

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 03:30:41PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> Can someone familiar with the Intel MP spec clarify for me whether it's
> permissible for an AP to call the BIOS, or whether only the BSP may do
> this?

MP Spec doesn't say that APs can't call the BIOS. So I think you're okay
if you make BIOS calls from an AP.

However, the MP spec does mention that most BIOSes are not multithreaded
and hence the caller must make sure that only one AP is executing the
BIOS at anytime. [ Appendix A - System BIOS programming guidelines ]

	-Arun