Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:23:43 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Imake'd ports and local CFLAGS

Hi folks,

This mail relates to my recent post on the issue of ports not honouring
local CFLAGS and some discussion I saw in cvs-digest-all.

It looks to me like we could sort out a large number of the ports that
don't honour local CFLAGS by fixing Imake. It looks like Imake takes
optimization flags from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/FreeBSD.cf regardless
of local CFLAGS.

I have absolutely _no_ idea how to teach Imake to use $(CFLAGS) for
DefaultGcc2i386Opt and OptimizedCDebugFlags, but that seems to be what's
needed. The simplest solution is to install Imake's FreeBSD.cf using the
build-time local CFLAGS, but this isn't good for packaging.

A better solution would be to make this dynamic. That probably means
teaching Imake to grok /etc/make.conf , since its stupid "variable
recursion testing" barfs on ``CFLAGS= $(CFLAGS)''.

Am I on the right track here?

Ciao,
Sheldon.