Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 09:03:58 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Jim Knoll <jknoll@indy.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SAMBA guest access

Jim Knoll wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run SAMBA on a 4.2 RELEASE box.  I use the box as a cvs
> server, and every night I tar up the cvs repository and use smbclient to
> move the repository to an nt share that is automatically backed up.  I
> would like to use sambe to allow the repository to backed up by the nt
> backup server.
>
> Guest access to the server does not seem to work.  I can access the
> share by adding my nt password with smbpassword, but it setting guest
> ok=yes does not allow any client not in the samba password database to
> access the share.
>
> Here is my smb.conf:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = CVSWKGP
>         encrypt passwords = yes
>         guest ok = no
> [cvs]
>         path = /usr/local/export/cvs
>         read only = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         browseable = yes
>
> Does anybody see what I am doing wrong?

If that's your entire smb.conf, then you're missing "guest account ="
which specifies which FreeBSD account is used when a user connects
as guest.
Read the Samba docs on the logon process, as they describe this in
excellent detail.  And check the smb logs in /var/log for error message
that will point you to the problem if you still have trouble.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology