Date:      21 Jan 2002 00:45:30 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is a good language for system administration?

> I agree, IMHO bad code is not readable independently of the language in
> which is written. Once you have mastered Perl, well-written Perl is
> crystal clear, and often remarkably brief, concise. I second the
> recommendations on studying portable sh and friends, and Perl.

Unfortunately, the people who get to pick a systems SA language and who
often write the initial round of it, are often very much smarter and
more well trained in coding (esp. the langs. they pick) than the bulk of
the poor schlums that have to deal with the stuff later or even write
new stuff.   SA type code is especially often prototypish and hacked up;
it's even more important for it to be easy to read and understand than
compiled codes for which there is usually more time to be careful.  I
think this argues strongly for Python (or almost anything) over Perl,
as fun and clever as that language may be in the hands of an expert.