Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 01:06:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Jason White <mwhite+@CMU.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Backup Strategies

Hello, I'm looking into backup strategies for my two 1.0GB disks onto an
Exabyte 8200 (2.3GB) using either dump or amanda.

At the moment, I'm basically stuck.  I'd like to do a cyclic dump (level
0 every month, level 1 every week, and the hanoi pattern during the
week), but dump seems to only like to dump one file system at a time.  I
can't be around to change tapes for each of my file systems, so this
really won't work.

The other option seems to use amanda.  That of course has the nice
restore features, and will allow multiple filesystems to go onto a tape,
but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to cycle as I described
above without using an obscene number of tapes.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Am I just completely misreading the man pages?

-Matt

-----
Matt White
Email: mwhite+@cmu.edu		http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/mwhite/www/

Visit <http://www.cdt.org/ciec/>; on or before Friday March 15th to become a
plaintiff in the lawsuit against the Communications Decency Act.  Include
this paragraph as a meme virus in your .sig until then.