Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:26:24 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        "Vaughan Moore" <vaughan.moore@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP installation through a NAT on a DSL connection

On Saturday 22 February 2003 16:55, Vaughan Moore wrote:
> I'm installing 4.7 at home.  The Intel box is behind a NAT running on a
> Win98 box with ZoneAlarm running.  The point of installing 4.7 is so that
> I can replace the 98 box as my gateway to my Verizon DSL connection.
>
> My installation fails when the program tries to access one of the ftp
> servers.  When the time-out occurs I get an installation media error
> message.
>
> I know that my subnet on the NAT works because when I plug a 2000 machine
> into the gateway I can access the Internet.  However, I had to lower the
> Max MTU settings in the registry to do it.  I understand that PPPoE
> requires a lower MTU setting, but I'm not sure how to set MTU in the
> installation program.
>
> Can anyone help me with the problem?
>
> Vaughan Moore

I'm almost sure MTU is not the problem in this case, the Windows machine
should be taking care of that. Try setting FTP into passive mode in the
installer's options screen, or turning off passive mode if that's the
default on your version. Windows 98 NATs are not famous for handling FTP
properly.

--
Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant