Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:43:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Super-User <root@ma.ultranet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        u-ben@ma.ultranet.com (Ben Goodwin), goodwinb@ma.ultranet.com (Ben Goodwin)
Subject:   Sendmail segfaults; can't bind to socket; won't restart!

I'd been running the may 3.0 snapshot for some time just fine.  Recently
sendmail and a few other programs decided to start dying on me with sig
10's and 11's ... so I decided to upgrade.  I did a fresh install (wiped
out the old install first), and I wake up today to find that sendmail died
again.  This time, instead of rebooting, I want to find out what's going on.
The machine is still in the state of being unable to start sendmail, so I
can do all kinds of debugging and tracing, and will even give someone
an account on my machine if they wanna poke around.  But here's some
information:

3.0-RELEASE
ppro200, 80 MB ram, 6GB IDE
stock sendmail 8.9.1 with .cf I generated from my own .mc file

I ran a ktrace against the sendmail invocation but the dump is too large
to post here, so I can make it available via ftp as
ftp://poseidon.hamsterville.ultranet.com/ktrace.out
(that's the binary dump; you'll want to run kdump against it)

here's what I see in my messages log:

Nov 14 11:11:26 poseidon sudo:      ben : TTY=ttyp2 ; PWD=/usr/var/log ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/sendmail -bD -d0 -v
Nov 14 11:11:26 poseidon sendmail[14234]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket: cannot bind: Invalid argument
Nov 14 11:11:26 poseidon sendmail[14234]: problem creating SMTP socket
Nov 14 11:11:26 poseidon /kernel: pid 14234 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11

and here's what i get on the command line:

Version 8.9.1
 Compiled with: MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND
                NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB NIS QUEUE SCANF SMTP USERDB XDEBUG

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = poseidon
  (canonical domain name) $j = poseidon.hamsterville.ultranet.com
         (subdomain name) $m = hamsterville.ultranet.com
              (node name) $k = poseidon.hamsterville.ultranet.

451 opendaemonsocket: cannot bind: Invalid argument
Segmentation fault

Also of interest, I have no other problems (yet, at least) with any other
programs on the machine.  It's only sendmail.

Now, I can leave my sendmail down for a while, but I eventually need it back
:)  Not to mention that if any of you reply to the hamsterville address,
I won't get the email until I either fix the issue or reboot.  :)  But
since email conversation is likely to be needed, use goodwinb@ma.ultranet.com
to get to me, and I set the reply-to as such. (you can never have too many
email accounts)
And I just found out that I can't send mail out from the FreeBSD box,
either.  Sigh.

Thanks for any help!

	-=| Ben