Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 12:47:08 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

In message <200005021748.KAA01220@implode.root.com>, David Greenman
writes:
> >At 5:35 PM -0700 2000/5/1, David Greenman wrote:
> >
> >>     You need to use the raw (character) device for testing things like thi
> s.
> >
> >	I don't think FreeBSD 4.0 and above have character devices any
> >more, do they?
>
>    Yes, it does. We took out buffered devices.

I suppose this has something to do with bufdaemon.  Is there any doc on
bufdaemon and syncer?

I noticed the change in MAKDEV, however when creating SCSI devices,
only character devices were created, yet the filesystems wouldn't
mount.  Manually creating the appropriate block SCSI da devices fixed
my problem.  May I conclude that CAM SCSI doesn't use bufdaemon?  And
may I assume FreeBSD will be using bufdaemon with SCSI in the future?

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC