Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 00:05:24 -0700
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Rick Kukiela <freebsd@mmhosting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can anyone help me?!?!

* Rick Kukiela (freebsd@mmhosting.com) [020426 13:24]:
> I posted this earlier and got no response... Does anyone know what I'm
> talking about with freebsd locking up after using edquota or user quota
> related processes?
>
> This is what i posted earlier:
>
> Okay, basically when you setup user quotas on freebsd 4.5 the system totally
> locks up, you cant log into it and all open local and remote shells just
> stop responding to commands. I would like to know if this is going to be
> fixed in the 5.0 release because we plan on using FreeBSD for all of our
> servers we are launching in june. If this issue is not going to be resolved
> than we will not be able to use FreeBSD which frankly bites because I love
> freebsd.
>
> Here is a url to a newsgroup article explaining the problem in depth:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Quota+lockup+freebsd&hl=en&selm=42ksld%24p
> 2k%40chelsea.ios.com&rnum=1
>

> Thanks in advance
> Rick

Rick,

The newsgroup you cited is a post that is almost 7 years old. It is related to
2.1-STABLE. Call me crazy, but I think somebody has fixed it by now. I keep a
watchful eye over many FreeBSD servers making heavy use of quotas daily, and
I've never seen one lockup due to any quota bugs.

Please give a more detailed description of what you are configuring, how it is
set up, configuration file examples, and the commands that you're using.
Details, Details, Details, please.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)