Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 14:23:29 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Ugen <ugen@xonix.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: boot floppy: trying again

In message <3AD763F9.DB3B25C9@xonix.com>, Ugen writes:
>And again - i have boot floppies made out of images boot.flp and
mfsroot.flp. I am compiling a new kernel (on some other FreeBSD box),
>gzipping it and replacing the kernel on boot floppy with this new kernel.
>This new kernel panicks as soon as it begins to load. This same new kernel
>does not panick when booted from the harddrive.
>Question - what if anything should i configure so that kernel will boot from
>the floppy (and in particular from the modified boot.flp)

It looks as if the config file for boot floppy kernels is generated
as follows (this is based on a quick reading of /usr/src/release/Makefile,
so it may be missing some steps):

	cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	cat GENERIC | /usr/src/release/scripts/dokern.sh > BOOTMFS
	echo "options  INTRO_USERCONFIG" >> BOOTMFS

This may be a good starting point to create a modified kernel that
could replace the kernel on the kern.flp disk. If that doesn't
work, please try to write down some of the error/panic messages
that you get when you boot the kernel.

Ian