Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:00:38 +0200
From:      Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        pgsql@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to fix postgresql package maintainance nightmare

Shane Ambler wrote:

> I'm not sure of any strong need to have more than one pg client version
> available. The newer client can connect to any older server and I don't
> know of any issues when an old client connects to a newer server.
There have been issues with the old client connecting to the new server
and the new client connecting to the old server.  They are rare and only
usually affect the use of 'short cut' commands (ie things like: \d and
\dt in the client)... the connection itself is usually both backwards
and forwards compatible.... just not the commands.

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/