Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:14:53 -0700
From:      Sean Ellis <sellis@telus.net>
To:        Steve Warwick <ukla@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configure PHP on FreeBSD

Hello Steve,

Saturday, September 01, 2001, 12:27:32 AM, you wrote:

> Hey all,

> (new FreeBSD User)

Hey. I've just moved beyond using a real bare bones installation to
putting together a proper machine, so I've been asking the same
questions. I can pass on what I've been doing.

> I have played with installing / deinstalling PHP 4.0.6 / Apache 1.3.19_1 and
> other items using packages. I'd like to do a custom configure and install of
> PHP (I have all the libraries). What do I add / change /edit to get a custom
> configuration for PHP?

For PHP I just built it from source. The apache+mod_ssl-1.3.20+2.8.4
package hadn't worked for me (it was dumping core), so having added
that by hand I thought I'd follow suit for the PHP.

Besides adding things by hand, edits can be made to the Makefile in the
top level of the port in question. The port can be grabbed using 'make
extract', which will put the source tree in place and reasy to go, but
won't beging compliling. There's an excellent couple of pages about
this in the handbook that I found pretty useful,

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/packages-using.html

This has been working for me so far,

--
Best regards,