Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 97 11:36:40 +0200
From:      Marko Schuetz <marko@ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        marko@kiste-5.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de (Marko Schuetz), pw@snoopy.mv.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: polling in sio.c

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> writes:

Michael> Marko Schuetz stands accused of saying:

>> [...]
Michael> Er, you must be using the PAO kernel.  I don't recommend this unless
Michael> you need it for something else; the pccard support in the standard
Michael> kernels is good enough for this.  I don't actually know what this is
Michael> meant to be, but I suspect it's the "didn't generate interrupt" error.

>> Why is that? What exactly is it *needed* for? I.e. What is the
>> difference in behavior with or without the PAO kernel?

Michael> The PAO kernel has the Nomads extra stuff in it.  This comprises
Michael> (IMHO) about equal parts extra cruft and useful stuff.  The problem is
Michael> that they're concerned with their development, and the only person
Michael> that's spent serious time integrating their work (Nate) is way too
Michael> busy to finish the job.

Michael> So there is extra support in the PAO code for some devices that don't
Michael> work with the mainstream stuff, and they roll a boot disk which can be
Michael> used to talk to PCCARDs while installing, but if you don't need the
Michael> functionality, you're better running the mainstream code because there
Michael> are more of us that can help you with it.

I have a laptop running the PAO kernel, only because from the
documentation I had it seemed to be the only way to get support for
apm and pccards. Is this not correct? If not then what exactly is the
difference between PAO and non-PAO kernels? What are those devices
supported by PAO which are not supported by the mainstream kernel?

Marko